Thursday 22 January 2015

THE OSCAR SCORE WARS and a WEEKS WORTH OF THOUGHTS IN NEW YORK


OBJECTS OF DESIRE
In this months Vogue UK I was considered for the page "objects of desire" Giving hope to all women over 38. Good news considering that I shall be dieting to my special weight for the Oscars next week.

WEIGHT
After Christmas despite the endless amount of handstands and yoga lessons with Bhesat Ahmet and Justine Glenton, the chubbiness has to disappear so I will place myself into the special care of the Mayr Clinic next week. They have opened their redecorated premises in the heart of Austria. Thank goodness for that as it was a trifle austere but a good deal more comfortable than We Care just outside Palm Springs, which I could stand for only two hours.

COPYING?
ALEXANDRE DESPLAT SEEMS TO HAVE HAD THREE NOMINATIONS

Last week I watched and listened to The Globes where there were as usual some surprising moments. The Oscar Nominations were equally controversial.  I am mad about music scores. I wish "Birdman" had  had a nomination for its  improvised drumming score by Antonio Sanchez, as at least it was completely different and nobody could accuse it of having been cut and past?. Apparently it was disqualified for having classical music included in the score? What about Whiplash, another great film with original music by Justin Kauflin, where was that in the award nominations?.  There are so many films with classical music included in their scores that have been up for Oscars, so heaven knows what on earth that means?. Talking about scores, the composers could be a little more individual, I have perfect pitch so I listen carefully. I used to play a game with my family as a child with music "Who copied whom". My grandfather, the film director Sidney Gilliat, loved it, my mother an opera singer loved it too.  I loved singing and the piano and can read music.  I could hear moments from "The King's Speech", "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close", Philomena and Benjamin Button in "The Theory of Everything?"  Mr Johansson's score is so influenced by Desplat's scores that originally I got confused and thought the writer was the award winning Alexandre Desplat himself. I do not know the exact copyright rules, and cannot spend hours looking at the individual phrasing but in the old days if you copied more than fourteen bars you were plagiarising.(actually I thought it was eight bars).Anyway, if only it had been true, it would mean that, like "Lion King", Desplat would have had three nominations in one category which includes Hotel Budapest and Imitation Game.. Well I suppose if the Oscar goes to "The Theory of Everything "Mr Desplat can be pleased, even if it is an unusual way to get an Oscar? My opinion is that dreams are realised by being original. Perhaps, like the film The Artist, where Ludovic Bource won an Oscar for his score, it was the last we heard of him? Anyway I do not have to fear for Desplat, he is a winner having scored more than one hundred movies, and been nominated and won many. The other problem is that when the editors put together a film they put music from other films and the director very often says "we want something like that" It is a pity, because imagination then becomes poor.


MR JOHAN JOHANSSON HAS NOT AN ORIGINAL THOUGHT FOR A BRILLIANT FILM FOR
"THEORY OF EVERYTHING"  Johan Johansson is indeed clever just he followed  obviously the advice and not his soul.

I love Norma Desmond and Marilyn Monroe but I do not need to copy them I can just be influenced?
POSTER
I am very excited I shall be on Sunset Boulevard for my film, The gun the cake and the butterfly, in a couple of weeks.
Due to the other film companies involved.

ON SUNSET BOULEVARD IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS.



People from all walks of life seem to copy, from fashion, art, makeup and film ideas. Perhaps we are all one big melting pot, but I like things to be individual, for true expression to be shown, even if you fail.   I certainly do not like to be thought to be like someone else.  You can be influenced but never copy. Take Francesca Woodman who was the original contemporary female artist that tore herself inside out. A very authentic female artist who committed suicide at 21. Who knows what she would have achieved, but one thing is for sure she has certainly left her mark and is one of the best kept secrets in art since Hans Bellmer. Boy has she been copied.
I don't mind stealing but don't get caught.


FRANCESCA WOODMAN

GALLIANO
On another note I am thrilled that the very original and exciting fashion designer John Galliano's clothes are in full swing for Maison Martin Margiela. If only I had been able  to see the show.

THE LAST SHIP
 In New York I was lucky enough to listen to Sting's musical "Last Ship" I say lucky as originally I heard and watched it some years ago in Paris, and I hated it. I have changed my mind, despite the fact it was about Ship Yards in Northern England, I was excited by the energy, the music, and the appearance of Sting himself. I was glad that he worked on this project so long, that he did not give up. The Last Ship had changed so much. Broadway failure may be that a play or musical is shut after 6 months, but the night I went there, there was not one free chair in the house. A failure. it certainly was not. Too much concern is about money and critics and not enough about people trying out new ideas. Perhaps England would have been more appreciative?
KINKY BOOTS
I also saw the very popular Kinky Boots starring the excellent Andy Kelso and Tony winner, Billy Porter, supported by the charming Jeanna de Waal.  This time it was set in Northampton, and was about the closing of a shoe factory. Again energy was exuberant and of course we all love a man in a dress or two, or do we? In any case I wanted some of the casts costumes. It was all glitter and glamour with a many less good numbers than Last Ship but no gloom at all. The shoe business may be precarious but everybody likes a pair of good high heels it seems. Afterwards I was lucky enough to meet the cast who were totally charming and offering to re dress me.  I do like a good pair of boots.


DAYS
The days have gone so quickly with amusements at the Charlotte Tilbury Makeup counter, where you can get ten different looks in an afternoon at Bergdorf Goodman and your hair as usual beautifully coiffed ready for anything at John Barrett. I then managed to squeeze in endless exhibitions Alex Katz, The Design Museum, Charles March's photographs and phew the week went by in a flash. New York is excellent and although freezing I wish it had not gone so fast as I could happily stay another week. The wall street journal's review on his show proved that it is a huge success.

HANDSOME LORD MARCH and PRISCILLA WATERS




AGE OF CONSENT
On another note, shouldn't  the age of consent should be agreed worldwide. Should the law be different in England to America?. If it different, confusion arises. Personally I think the age of consent should be 16.  Younger than that, if a girl is allowed to massage clients for money  by her parents, then surely her parents should be held responsible ? My mother told me early on about rape "A girl can run faster with her pants down than a man with his trousers down" Anyway it should be made clear so that rich and famous men and young girls know the score.

FREEDOM
So much has happened in the last month, I am je suis Charlie and je suis Page Three (The Sun Newspaper). Both of which we should be fighting for if we are correct.

CANCER
Please support Amy Watt's struggle against cancer.
@Iholdamy'shand

No comments: